Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Pyrex-orama

Hello everyone! Sorry I have been so neglectful of my blog! This is going to have to be a very short post, as I am writing this from the airport. We've been traveling a lot, but pretty soon, I will be done with my summer travels and will be better about blogging. Promise.

So, when we were in the Bay Area we stayed for two nights with our friends Ethan and Kelly and their darling little daughter Evie. Ethan and Kelly have decided that they are going to get rid of all of their plastic storage products and instead use -- one of my favorite things of ALL time -- Pyrex! I didn't have time to take any photos of my Pyrex collection; that'll have to wait for another post. But, until then, to whet your palate, visit this amazing Pyrex site. If you check out their "pattern reference" section, I can give you all many awesome patterns I'd like you to keep your eyes peeled for (hint hint: Christmas Holly).

Ethan and Kelly found at a thrift store in their area some great pieces: divided serving pieces, glass-topped casseroles, small ramekins. All of these items I approve. Their patters are Horizon Blue and Square Flowers. I'd love to know what all of you are squirreling away in your kitchen cupboards! My friend Emma has some nice pieces in Green Dot Squares, Designs, and Friendship -- I think. I inherited a stash of Butterprint -- which is pretty popular I think -- from my Grandma Rose. Once I get some photos up of what other patterns I have, we can all do a better job of collectively ooo-ing and ahhh-ing about the wonders of Pyrex.

What I do have to share with you right now are some photos from an incredible little Pyrex cookbook that I picked up in Louisville, Kentucky, about four years ago. While the recipes are divine, what's better are the photos of what you can do with your Pyrex. I love to see all of the pieces used in such creative ways, in all of their resplendent glory!




Look at how nicely that table is set!  Isn't it inviting?


I made this cake one year, for Easter at Michelle's mother-in-law's sister's house in Michigan.  The colored coconut flakes are the piece de resistance, if you ask me.  I actually used Peeps too.  It was useful to learn how to make marshmallow icing from this cookbook's instructions.


I own one of these coffee percolators.  Little did I know I could employ it in multiple ways, as shown in this photo.  Next time I want to make asparagus or corn-on-the-cob, I guess I should just whip out the ol' percolator!!

Enjoy your Pyrex my friends.  I will compose a more coherent blog entry next time, I promise!!


No comments: